FJRD

Update 0.4 November 18, 2020

Update 0.4 (0.4.8)

New features:

349504168_Foxpet.png.315ac6aab62e06fb7a269ed645f29283.png

Fox pet

Get company in the wild by this cute little fox.  Give it commands, pet it and get help with finding loot. (The fox appears around the cabin after day 10)

Brews.png.111343fb9f0e3c28b526ef94f0618b72.png

Brewery cabin extension

Brew your own beverages in this new cabin room. Beverages will make you temporary run faster, increase body temperature and stay up late in the night.

Loots.png.8913c3529a427c279f71ed23a3eb7573.png

New loot items

With the brewery feature comes new loot items. These items spawns in certain areas of the map and is specifically used for brewing.

Decorations.png.7ff640b17c4e230f29b780ae90e8f8d8.png

New cabin decorations

Were expanding our decoration system with these new decorations!

Changes:

• The loot spawn system now has map area spawn rules.
  • The fishing rod is no longer a locked blueprint.
  • AI now supports area traversable rules. For example deer can now run through the river while rabbits cannot.

We hope you enjoy this update and we'll start fixing any new bugs right away.

• Like 6
  • Woah 1
  • Yay 8

😍I like.  good optimization. should be the squirrel.  Nice work. Good luck

🍀

Edited by Patman
  • Yay 1

Would you explain the changes to the loot spawn system please? I've already found that the loot spots that I've been to previously no longer have crates and metal bins like they did before.

Also, I've only been able to find thistle root (I think) and I've searched quite a bit of the map.

Also also, I am inordinately pleased with my fox.

Edited by riggsdp

Thoughts on the Fox...

While the little bugger is quite adorable, I find the process of aquiring him as a travel companion (I would never consider a wild animal a pet) somewhat over-easy. Just rub his head and it will follow you anywhere? Please - don´t make it that easy on us!

How about there being a (scripted) fierce storm one night , after which the fox appears close to, but not by the hut in a bad state. You could then choose to feed it (or even have to craft a splinter for it), which in turn will make it show up more regularly. After a few of these chance encounters (each of which will include some sort of choice by the player to aid the fox or not), it might start following you a little. Only, say, 100m at first - after which it looses interest and might return to the hut (or run after a rabbit). By regularly feeding it, over time the bond will grow and the interest/loyalty/radius of companionship will increase. Indications of that loyalty might be:

1) Fox regularly approaches soon after exiting the hut (follows you randomly for a while)

2) Fox will be waiting for you outside the hut (follow command active)

3) Fox will enter the hut (stay command active)

4) Fox will sleep in the hut (far corner) (find loot command active)

5) Fox will sleep in front of bed (additionaly, fox will have collected 3-4 sticks over night, found in front of hut)

Make the player invest a little more into what might become a very special relationship than just "oh, there you are".

Please do not, ever, make it attack a bear on your behalf!

Edited by JeLin
  • Like 8

OOooo!  Thank you so much for the update - I love my new little furry buddy 🙂 And It's great to have some new ingredients to look for to brew some potions 🙂 

• Yay 1

Jeez! A couple of days ago I was thinking about among trees and here is an awesome update 😄 Thanks a lot 😄

Just one question tough, I'm playing on Itch.io and it says that my game is up to date
but I still have the 0.3.24.... Is it only updated on Epic Games?

This game was already a jewel when the first pre-Alpha came out and the more you add the better it keeps getting 😄 Keep up the good work 😄 

I got the game because of its latest update and a review on YouTube. I haven't explored the entire map yet but I believe its gameplay is shallow. Is there any story behind this game? The graphics are really nice but "pre-alpha" is indicative of the content rather than the bugs and visuals.

***Btw the only bug I noticed was during fishing, a fish got stuck in front of my character in the water. Although I brought it in front of me, I couldn't pull it up. I had to push the middle mouse wheel (which enables the pet commands) to get it unstuck.***

So back to the gameplay. First of, why is there no introduction to the game? How did we end up alone "Among Trees"? A story to back the game is essential even if it's pre-alpha. Even if it's just a black screen with one sentence introducing the player to the environment.

What these destroyed (lootable) sites represent? A disaster of some sort and the lootable crates are the remains?

Why are the bears guarding some specific areas and not just roam the forest?

I can ask 1 million questions. The answers to these questions could be clues, that someone can discover and understand what is going on in the game.

I read from previous posts that the dev team is "discussing" the implementation of hunting in the game. Fishing is hunting with a rod. Why killing fish is ok, but hunting rabbits is not ok?

Overall, amazing graphics but the team needs to invest in the story. Especially if it's a campaign/solo game.

Cheers!

Hello you all! Thank you so much for your incredible feedback about the Autumn Update.

-Itch.io: We are looking into it! The game should be up to date just as its EGS version! 
-We wanted to be able to release the Autumn Update as promised, in autumn. Implementing a more complex system in order to get the Fox would have considerably delayed the release of that update. In the future we will grow the lore of the game and add more mechanics! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nebakin283 said:

Also is seems my electric tower spawn points are not respawning much thing metal.

I'm thinking this was the part of the update they mentioned with the new spawn rules, but I hope they put it back the way it was. It only makes it harder to get resources which is frustrating.

OMG THE FOX IS SO CUTE THANK YOU,  but how to you get the fox menu cannot find it anywhere please help x i have found it thank you x

Edited by KIM RAVEN
  • Yay 1

23 minutes ago, KIM RAVEN said:

OMG THE FOX IS SO CUTE THANK YOU,  but how to you get the fox menu cannot find it anywhere please help x

Press the scroll wheel on your mouse whilst looking at your foxy friend - you should get a round thing pop up with different actions available. 🙂 

On 11/20/2020 at 11:33 AM, FJRD Shep said:

-We wanted to be able to release the Autumn Update as promised, in autumn. Implementing a more complex system in order to get the Fox would have considerably delayed the release of that update. In the future we will grow the lore of the game and add more mechanics! 

Please do not take my reply as a sour rant or anything even close to that - I was very happy to see the pet update happen. Thank you very much for that!

I just felt that it has potential for a lot more, even echoing its way back into the rest of the game.

• Like 1
  • Yay 1

Nice update, love the pet fox. 

One suggestion for the Dev team though. If you're going to be adding more content (ie. loot items), would you please possibly consider adding more (bigger) storage configurations, and more (or at least uniform) stacking for loot? 

It makes it more and more difficult if we've collected items that we need, and then have to figure out what to keep and what to discard to be able to collect the new loot items. Even if all loot items had the same stack levels (ie. 25 per stack), that would help a lot. 

I love the fox, it made me sooo happy, I just think the fox should find food for himself, its super hard to fish just for the fox, and it tortures me to see him always hungry. if I would had known I would had to feed him, maybe I wouldnt had adopt him. Like in order to catch a few fish I spend a whole day O_O Maybe Im just dumb. Also I would love more decoration for the cabin, like rugs and lamps 😄 Amazing game, just stunning!

12 hours ago, strange_duck said:

Do existing saves work with the new update? yeah, i could check myself, just thought i'd ask. thanks

Yes. I had no issues just loading up the game that I'd previously been playing. I also swapped out an even older save file and had no issues with it either.

You can't add new items without fixing the problems inherent within your choice of tile inventory. See Don't Starve for an example of how NOT to design an inventory. Without radically redesigning the game's inventory, the only option is to expand personal inventory capacity and house storage capacity, whether this is by adding more tiles or by raising stack limits. The more item variety you add, the more fatally choked it becomes, and it's already creaking under the strain.

Hi I read that changes to the loot spawn system had been in the Update.
The Boxes in my Loot Spots/POI´s are missing. I Played a while and Wood boxes respawned and metal boxes I already opened did´t just disapear.
In my actual save they are just gone and no wood boxes respawn and my Error log says many Items are missing -.-
Dont know if my save is broken now and if I will be able to find enough resoures so continue playing.
Also started a new game because this happend but now after 4 hours its the same problem again.
I´m a bit worried now to play further and if this is a major bug or just the new loot system beeing updated (+ maybe minor bugs because error log doesn´t look good xD)
Anyone same Problems with the Update und Error log or just me ?

LOVE THE GAME !!!