The Beginning to the End. Epic Games Exclusivity...How's it going for the community...spoilers it's bad.

I'm so disappointed in this developer and their behavior.. This game is literally the reason I broke down and downloaded the Epic Games Store a year ago..

To make promises in these forums and then just completely throw them out the window and throw the game (and fans) under the bus. I will do everything I can to make sure none of my gamer friends support this developer again.

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The team agrees 100% on that. As long as the community guidelines are respected, everyone is welcome to voice their opinion. The team is working on a "back from vacation" news and statement and we

+1000 It is *absolutely* understandable to prioritize development over communication, for a small dev team that can't afford a full time PR/communications staff. But a game community needs S

yes, almost a month past, gotta be a really long "back from vacation" post.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, fgrjeiwgjrep said:

lol, still not on itch. and i got so many dislikes for my posts... everything was true. still no update from the devs or the so-called community manager. what a shit show this has been. "5 year" development, lol.

Oh they HAVE updated the community:

"We've been developing Among Trees for almost five years now and feel like we've taken the game to a great place. We're planning to fix bugs until the end of the year, but don't expect any major new features or content. It's a game we could keep working on forever, but we'll be moving on to new exciting projects for now!"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/897730/announcements/detail/3063004249996232626

• Like 2

well i kinda seen this coming after doing my research, i guess i didn't pay to much for this alpha, so it could of been worst. but i am very disappointed that they would just jump ship now..

Game looks nice but the game play is seriously lacking to be a fully completed title. thought something was fishy. years without any significant updates, most alphas get at least an update every month or a substantial one after 3-4 months.. if they truly intend to finish this here, that will be a major blow for their credibility going forward within the industry. shame as it could of been so much better.

i will have to warn people about this developer and this game.. cheers 

• Like 3

This game is worth approximately $10 USD. It is a fantastic experience and is a polished game. While not complete in relation to potential, it is in itself a complete package. The game has very few bugs, however, it does have features that hinted at additional gameplay that have not been utilized. Among these are the lanterns, reinforced planks, the "alpha trees".. It's clearly a project that had more that it wanted to do. Yet time makes a fool of us all.

The development has been slow and steady. Aside from the presumptuous steam key, they have yet to break any promises, and I do hope they follow through with that promise. If not, that will be problematic (though I don't see why they wouldn't). The lack of communication has been very unfortunate and avoidable. Nevertheless, it makes sense that after five years (especially with little appreciation for what they do do) that the fatigue would lead them to this point. I hope to see what they make next.

Whoever is the developer that has been preventing the Community Manager from acting out their role is one that I would say would do better to change their behavior and enable open communication. Otherwise, I have very few complaints with the game and now that is complete, communication is no longer a problem. That being said, I would still wholeheartedly recommend the game. It's definitely a good game to get on sale, but a $15 price tag isn't bad at all. See you in the woods

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2
21 hours ago, allsmilesb said:

image.thumb.png.6736628f2e63bb0b7cce45ad2567093e.png

STEAM EMAIL WAS LIKE WEEK OR TWO BEFORE THE EPIC GAMES 

image.thumb.png.3576fbe02fdaea000b013bb0d1274fe6.png

image.thumb.png.f549dd301dd4181a71c310e83ab1d272.png

image.thumb.png.0fc767e90a6eda2bcb84fa0d748f9ad8.png

image.thumb.png.499f2ba7282512c8cb9f7ed47f13c09d.png

WARNING BOOKMARK THIS FOR YOURSELF

*THIS FORUM WON'T BE LIVE FOREVER!!!* 

image.thumb.png.202ba66e0c32cba3741c777d1addb253.png

image.thumb.png.663cb810e86f0240f2cc0bef4e98f9c6.png

image.thumb.png.e27211b21f35e3fd7c392118339479ef.png

In summary the list of screen shots is evidence of a theory I have and mentioned that I would elaborate later on a statement I made previously. 

"Woops I missed that  part. Lol. Well I am not surprised by the out come I actually saw it mile away but didn't have any concrete evidence but I do have one telling sign that I knew this was going to happen. I will post it in my thread  that many I think will find interesting about Epic deal with Among Trees ...I will say this it was a package deal."

" I will bet you Epic either "A" bought their dev studio and are dissolving studio under epic games or "B"  are in a dev/ publisher partnership or "C" closing dev studio team and moving dev members to work on various projects under Epic or to make a similar game as Among Trees on bigger scale that is branded a Epic game or create a more monetized version. "

Elaboration Part:

Among the Trees was on itch.io. a small development team one of many nothing special or out of ordinary. Among the Trees  dev team puts their game on Steam no different then any other game put on Steam by a development studio. Steam doesn't have exclusive deal nor pushing any advertising for the game. We find out not by the forums from Devs themselves or even Epic games but those who bought the game on Steam were given a email breaking the news on the Epic Games exclusive deal. A couple weeks go by and devs still don't confirm the Epic Games deal.  After couple of weeks we get an email from Epic Games about the deal then shortly after we get pretty much verbatim same information from the "COMUNITY MANAGER". Fast forward to this year the game is moving at crawl space with no rhyme or reason and the devs  are silent or apologizes through the Community Manager for their silences and then go back to silences. Not know to many including me that only much later that Itch.io version of the Among Trees was not being supported and in April Epic Games put itcho.io as a app in their store. Itch.io being an app on Epic Games did not seem odd to me at all for long time until recently. Why would Epic games have essentially a competing gaming store market? Another odd thing I thought about is why did Epic games work a exclusive deal with a unknown team working on basically a casual India game free from monetization which is an ip that is not grossly unique or a mainstream cash cow ip. Why did they needed to exclude steam form the game for 15 months? What was whole point of all this?

What I believe which is uncredited and purely baseless speculation is the Epic Games is just scalping talent and ips. I feel Epic Games saw potential in this studio either because Epic Games is working on concept for similar game and FJRD is the talent they needed.  Or Epic Games saw the potential in ip and wanted a closer look at FJRD behind the scenes as a proof concept so Epic Games could build their own ip but have most leg work already done. Regardless which way you look at another deal was made with Epic Games if that was renegotiating the partnership or ending the partnership and FJRD got dissolved/bought under Epic Games umbrella. 

We will see what future projects FJRD will be working on in the future or if at all they still be called FJRD anymore. I will put money FJRD or whatever they will call next will not be a independent developing team they will have some type of relationship with Epic Games.  

LADIES AND GENTLMEN IT HAS BEEN FUN. 

P.S I feel like their was for sure fake community members trying to do damage control in this forums. I would make whole thread and list of screen shots but literally when I posted my criticisms with Epic/FJRD deal forum members out of no where came and defended against all criticism. The fake members would be only a couple or few days created member on forum and post generic I love the game and the updates are amazing. The fake members would have tons of down votes on any actual member that had any criticisms on the game. SUS 

WARNING BOOKMARK THIS FOR YOURSELF

*THIS FORUM WON'T BE LIVE FOREVER!!!* 

Edited by allsmilesb

Your brain is so full of worms you'd rather make up shit than see what's in front of you. This thread is a waste of time and I'm really not sure what you're trying to do here. Telling people what to think does not help them in any way, all you're doing is taking a massive rancid shit upon something you think is bad and it's a pain in the ass to see. Epic has nothing to do with the studio, fuckin stop rabble-rousing, if you really don't like it leave. If you just want attention, you can easily pay a therapist to pay attention to you. 

tldr: idiot says epic games bad, expects upvotes, forgets theyre not on reddit, says a shit ton of other smoothbrained things, expects to command respect

• Angry 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1
6 hours ago, PharingWell said:

Aside from the presumptuous steam key, they have yet to break any promises, and I do hope they follow through with that promise.

"We'll keep the Itch.io version up to date" would be the most egregious broken promise that comes to mind. It's still on the November 2020 version.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PharingWell said:

Your brain is so full of worms you'd rather make up shit than see what's in front of you. This thread is a waste of time and I'm really not sure what you're trying to do here. Telling people what to think does not help them in any way, all you're doing is taking a massive rancid shit upon something you think is bad and it's a pain in the ass to see. Epic has nothing to do with the studio, fuckin stop rabble-rousing, if you really don't like it leave. If you just want attention, you can easily pay a therapist to pay attention to you. 

tldr: idiot says epic games bad, expects upvotes, forgets theyre not on reddit, says a shit ton of other smoothbrained things, expects to command respect

AFTV on Twitter: "Ladies and gentlemen...we got him 🤝 (he's not on  twitter, YET!) https://t.co/FdoJif5eiW" / Twitter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...