The wish for hunting implementation

I know you are considering it, but hear me out!
I wish for it to be an option (and not something forced)
To go more in depth: For those who want to do "more" and want to follow the real life of survival should have the option to do this. 
Forge an bow/Spear/traps to catch prey like rabbits, bear pelt etc. I wouldnt consider this a "real" survival game without it. You could add moderation on blood (or no blood at all)
Make it more like Minecrafts route on the whole thing.

Use the bear pelts to craft winter clothing, bed, furnishing etc. 
Use meat to craft food, fat to craft water repelant for not freezing etc.

For those who dont want to hunt, there should be an option to get through the game or even get the same stuff with other materials. 

You added fishing right? It is also very good system, and also is a way of taking a life. You did it perfect! Add hunting in the same root and with a ethical system. If you want to know more about hunting, hit me up privatly, and I can give you lots of info on how you hunt, and ethically kill an animal without suffering. 

I am a hunter myself, and have grown up with both trapping and hunting. I know it is far fetched for people who never have heard or seen anything like this and look at it the negative way. Animals arent ment to be killed etc. I would dare to say that it as natural as anything. I understand not growing up with it gives it a more bizzare tone. But yet again. As natural as we are walking grounds today! The surviver in the wood's need food. and killing the wildlife for survival should be feasable as anything else in the game. 

Downloaded the game today and played for 4 hours straight! LOVE it! Keep it going guys

Edited by Kasp0
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1

Yikes. @FJRD Shep could you please also take into consideration that some people would really love for you to never implement hunting 🙂 Literally in almost every game out there that have animals in it, you can kill them. Why not just keep this as a small oasis of sanity / kindness? People who crave killing animals so much have a much, much larger pool of games to choose from. Log in to the RDR2 and kill animals to your heart's content. Thank you for considering this.

and ethically kill an animal

@Kasp0 Quit your bs. How do you ethically kill someone who does not want to be killed? The mental gymnastics you people perform every day to justify having flesh of conscious beings on your plate...

Edited by nindree
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 6

I dont see a issue with a feature being implemented no one is saying kill animals, u can leave them be and eat veggies if u want but the options should still be there for all players, its your world hunt or not i dont see any issue with options really 😕

• Like 4
On 6/17/2020 at 6:46 PM, fuck-meat-eaters said:

Yikes. @FJRD Shep could you please also take into consideration that some people would really love for you to never implement hunting 🙂 Literally in almost every game out there that have animals in it, you can kill them. Why not just keep this as a small oasis of sanity / kindness? People who crave killing animals so much have a much, much larger pool of games to choose from. Log in to the RDR2 and kill animals to your heart's content. Thank you for considering this.

@Kasp0 Quit your bs. How do you ethically kill someone who does not want to be killed? The mental gymnastics you people perform every day to justify having flesh of conscious beings on your plate...

Put your bottom lip back, it's a game that's about survival, instincts and decisions that face any man/women in a forest be it alone or otherwise, they'res every possibility you survive on plants and vegetables, but when your facing predators in the game such as a bear, you gotta defend yourself regardless to whether you eat steak or a leaf.

Edited by Paradox
  • Like 2

Have you guys seen the deer in the game? They are so beautiful. Even though I welcome the idea of more hunting options, why did they have to make the deer so beautiful to kill? 😐 However I think that this game is so serene and 'nice', I would like players to have the option to stick to foraging only to survive. Hunting should come with better perks, like fur etc that one can use for the cold. But the game should stay versatile enough for everyone to play and appreciate. Perhaps hunting becomes an important activity in normal mode and not the 'zen' mode?

19 minutes ago, the420dude69 said:

ya fuck meat eaters is a troll that doesn't know anything about the outdoors outside of glamping. The game needs hunting but it should not be forced even in normal mode. 

This user has been ban so no need to further develop on its commentary 😉 (or yeah...no need to add sticks to the cooking stove)

• Like 4

An interesting topic that my son (12) and I were discussing. As we both have extensive hours put into the survival game 'The Long Dark'. Which can be quite an intense game at times.
After getting to day 24 we both had that same nagging question, to implement killing or not. It's a very peaceful kinda game right now. Although the idea of crafting from animals is also an attractive addition. We also liked that peaceful, relaxing feeling that we get from the game as it stands.

Perhaps an option added into the game may be the answer as has been previously suggested.
One thing was made clear, my son liked the fact that it is easy to get into this game, and play without the fear factor or the intensity of the former mentioned game. So it may be that it could reach a broader audience when excluding the complexities that come with making a simulator survival game. Or it may end up wanting. 🙂
Its going to be interesting to see what the devs think about this.

@Volatile_Hunter

I absolutely get what you are saying. I felt very rested and peaceful playing this game so I wish that the devs set as their priority to protect that feeling. Greatest art and entertainment sets out to illicit a certain feeling in those who view it and I hope that this game retains its ability to do that.

That being said I think using animals for crafting is just too big a feature to miss. It wouldn't ruin the game, but it would be a big missing piece. Furthermore, the game already has stressful portions in for of the bears. As of now they are very easy to avoid, but when you are new to the game they are a pretty big source of stress. They were at least for me. Also, hunting doesn't have to be stressful. It could also consist of trapping and stalking. If you make it so that the player is forced to hunt in an ethical way, prospect of hunting is that much less distressing. I dont know how ethical trapping is, but lets say that if you are trying to take a shot at an animal that isn't quaranteed to give you a clean kill, the player character simply refuses to shoot. It would also force the player to executes hunts with some actual thought and attention. Another thing is that although this could just be replaced with wildlife spotting, finding different animals and sneaking up close to them fits in pretty well into the game, and is pretty much what hunting is.

TL DR: It is important that the overall feel of the game remains and it is possible that hunting could ruin it, but no necessarily and hunting would also seem like a big missing piece in many ways. It wouldn't even necessarily be difficult to fit hunting into the game. It could event be used to further enhance the athosphere of among trees when done right.

• 1 month later...

With some trepidation about wading into what seems to be becoming a rather contentious subject.... I am pescatarian, and more than happy to continue on the diet we already have in the game.  However, I would find it acceptable to eat meat if I had gone out and hunted it myself, purely for the reason of staying alive!   Creatures hunt each other to eat to survive, after all.  But I also think that we should accept that some folks have a different opinion, and perhaps have a version of the game where hunting is not an option.  I kind of like the idea of Among Trees being less of a survival game and more of a "life in the woods" game...subtle difference.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:46 PM, fuck-meat-eaters said:

Tell me please, why is it ok for the bear to eat you although you're obviously don't want to get eaten but it's wrong for us to do so?

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...