Hey all. I had a quick question about the future of the game. What are the thoughts on modding? Have the devs said anything about modding? I think community modding could be a great thing for the game as it has been for many other games like Civilization 6 and Kerbal Space Program. Anyone know anything about this? I would assume if modding capability is planning on being added it would be a little while and after we are more fully released. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AlatarRhys said:

@viktorcech I would request you give good reasoning for why that is instead of that it is for noobs. What reason is there to prohibit something that can only benefit people? If you don't like mods you don't have to use them but at least don't prohibit us from using them.

yeah yeah..we know about modding in game forest - where players (80% multiplayers) destroying players stuff and trolling)...

lol

I think that the game is at too early stage of development right now. Let's wait till the game will leave early access (it might take some time, considering that it's in the pre-alpha version now).  However mods are quite useful and they can provide many hours of additional fun to the base game. An example of usefulness of mods may be DayZ Standalone - devs are now using community mods to finish the game (but the way to finish is still very long) and many people are still really enjoying and creating new mods. As I said in the beggining - mods are very useful sometimes, but for now let's wait and let the devs keep working on the game😉

Well, as you told the troll, this is a single player game. I don't see how mods can destroy anything. Sure they can be buggy, but they can be uninstalled and an old save can be loaded. Problems can be solved. I love mods as they can really turn a good game like Ark, IMO of course, in to something really fantastic. I run my own servers with different styles. Like "peaceful Minecraft with no carnivores" or "FPS style with big guns and unlimited ammo" etc. 

/Cheers 🙂

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

Yeah, modding would be great for the game like simply adding small things like lights for your cabin, graphics enhancements, fps enhancements, more pets, more tools.

Trolling is a very stupid argument to bring up because the game is single player. Why would you want to ruin your own experience??

While I´m not against mods in general, this is certainly not the stage in development to be calling for them.

Also, it adds another layer of bother for the devs - having to consider compatibility with popular mods before each content update/patch/addon to avoid shitstorms from players who are actually only playing the mod. Seen this happen on KSP, Subnautica, etc

I´ll turn the question back to you: Why are you already requesting mods before we even know what the finished game will be like? What feature are you looking for in a mod that you think the finished game does not/will not include? And why do you feel the need to have those features?

I agree- modding can be very useful to assist in giving some games better tools & UI then what the creators can concentrate on.

For example Rimworld- the creators embraced players to make mods & they came out with awesome ways to make to game different & very re-playable & then down the road the creators implemented some of the better mods into the actual base game once they're Alpha was released.

Elder Scrolls Online devs also allow mods & they've got some great ways to help with UI (like a mini map that can show where crafting loot is).

Really- if Among Trees have good policies on what can be added by modders, it's free labor, new ideas & research for them.

• 11 months later...
On 12/21/2020 at 12:58 AM, JeLin said:

While I´m not against mods in general, this is certainly not the stage in development to be calling for them.

Also, it adds another layer of bother for the devs - having to consider compatibility with popular mods before each content update/patch/addon to avoid shitstorms from players who are actually only playing the mod. Seen this happen on KSP, Subnautica, etc

I´ll turn the question back to you: Why are you already requesting mods before we even know what the finished game will be like? What feature are you looking for in a mod that you think the finished game does not/will not include? And why do you feel the need to have those features?

1 year later and the game isn't going to get any more updates, no finished game.... just a reminder of what could have been.