FJRD

Development status update September 29, 2020

Hi folks!

First of all a huge thank you to all of you who played the game and posted your ideas and feedback. And also a big thank you for all the bug reports you've sent, it really helps!

We thought it would be a good idea to give you all some information what goes on behind the scenes.

Here's what we're currently working on:

image.png.2741f3357d9d11794f86c77148e45baa.png

Pet

Were working hard on making a pet that can keep you company in the wilderness. It's a difficult task and takes time but hopefully we will get it right soon!

You be able to give it commands such as "Follow me", "Wait here", "Go home" and "Look for loot". You will also have to feed it so it doesn't starve. More ideas are welcome here.

image.png.09ddb72a85852ab62046e83dd03fb460.png

Brewery

We're working on a new cabin extension where you can brew your own beverages. You'll use herbs as ingredients and each beverage will have one of the following effects:

Body temperature. This one will keep you warm for a couple minutes no matter how cold it is outside.

Energy. This one will max your stamina and increase your sprinting speed for a couple of minutes. Very handy if you want to traverse long distances quick or chop down tons of trees.

Stay awake. Drinking one of these will increase your awake time, if you feel like some days are too short. 

Environment variety

This is a big thing to tackle and we will have to re-think our current workflow to be able to add more variety to the environment.

We hoped it would just work to expand our current world but unfortunately it makes the performance worse.

The solution? We're exploring this as I'm writing this. It might take a while but we're experimenting with different approaches to this issue so we can get as cool environment as possible in the future.

It will probably be a while before we've reach a good enough solution here so the environment will not be updated i the next update release.

Thank you for being part of this journey and we'll post info soon regarding the upcoming update.

/FJRD

• Like 7
  • Woah 1
  • Yay 8
  • Dislike 1

This game is fantastic so far! It's way more stable with more content than most AAA titles anymore. I love the idea of the stay awake drink (caffeine juice) as I would love to see the atmosphere at night. The pet is also a fantastic idea! A suggestion for map variety; maybe add some broken down structures that look simillar to the cabin before it's built; a few more caves or another Larch Tree Zone. A climbing mechanic that uses craftable climbing gear to get on some cliffs around mountains and such would be awesome to see too. My last suggestion that probably wouldn't be added till near completion, co-op multiplayer. I've shown this to friends and the only thing that kept them from getting it was the lack of multiplayer (Among Trees with Friends). Keep up the great work guys I can't wait to see what is to come in the future!

• Like 4
  • Yay 1

I think that if you could train your pet to catch a bird it would be nice. 
I really like the game so far! Not just for the visuals. 

• Yay 1

Thank you all so much for your feedback and continuing support! You make the entire experience all worth it! 

• Like 3

I wish there was a way to craft steel pipes. Gone out 3 days in a row, only needing one to make a metal plate, so I can craft the greenhouse. Also, please add controller support. Thanks

Im so excited about the new features escpecially the pets, the ''find loot'' command is gonna be soo useful PLUS they are gonna look SUPER CUTE UwU

Edited by Dinzel125
  • Yay 1

Just quick questions regardings pets

can you pet your pet? 

Can it serv as small heating when sleeping in tents outside? 

when looking for loot, can you say : "look for food/scrap/plants..."

The pet needs to sleep at the foot of the bed or under the covers with you 😧  This neeeeeds to happen. Also cuddling for warmth when sleeping rough. 

As for loading times- the area we have now is a pretty good-sized one. The Long Dark is great at making believable and obvious wormholes like train tunnels or mineshafts, where loading into a new area is clearly showed. Games that do it well don't mess with immersion at all. 

• Like 1

Hoping that the beverages last for more than 2 minutes.  I'd prefer 5-10 or have a tiered skill progression to increase time and/or potency.  Having to pop a drink every 2 minutes is not a great QOL feature.  Great ideas though and the pet sounds awesome!

bigger world thing...so it cant be like new region?...like in long dark?
rocky mountain region with a little snow and caves
thick forest region with huge lake,where you could go fishing with boat...maybe even dive in depths of a lake,
seashore region with  fishervillage.
region with the dynamic events(just some marks of a another survivor/wanderer)

and last but very minor idea for whole game what you can do in any region...butterfly collecting/studying that we,the players can brag to each other:
" I GOT OLD WORLD SWALLOWTAIL"
Like day and night butterflys...
also,never liked that every player knows allready every mushrooms/berries what they are,maybe add books and studying and after studying,informations is shown on them.

spacer.png

Edited by Marjastaja79

maybe if wanted to get any benefit from studying butterflys,bound it to flyfishing lure making.
better you know how butterflys look,better lures you can craft.
sorry about brainstorming and grazy ideas:D

I was playing with the idea of the map being procedurally generated to help with replayability last I was talking about it with a few friends. I understand that this may be quite a large task in itself; though I think it would help keep things fresh and exciting, with everyone's playthrough being a little bit more .. unique?

I'd also imagine that this would play a role in assisting with discussion among other Among Trees gamers, about what kind of starting environment they have, or the 'perfect' location that they had found to place their home base (if I recall that relocating may be an option later down the development roadmap? maybe? maybe not? but .. y'know.. maybe? =p)

Also, SO keen on the upcoming updates 😄

Is there a status on when the next update will be available? I've been amusing myself with The Outer Worlds but it's not Among Trees.

On 10/30/2020 at 3:37 PM, riggsdp said:

Is there a status on when the next update will be available? I've been amusing myself with The Outer Worlds but it's not Among Trees.

The Outer Worlds is indeed fun! 
If we were to give a more specific date for the release of the Autumn Update and were unable to meet this deadline, we are afraid it would create more frustration among our player base. But rest assured the team is 100% focused and devoted to working on this update for making it available as soon as possible! 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

22 hours ago, FJRD Shep said:

The Outer Worlds is indeed fun! 
If we were to give a more specific date for the release of the Autumn Update and were unable to meet this deadline, we are afraid it would create more frustration among our player base. But rest assured the team is 100% focused and devoted to working on this update for making it available as soon as possible! 

interesting, I have not yet encountered such an approach
  • Haha 1

Hi,

I just wanted to know how big the team is, because it is taking a lot of time for the now I guess Winter update hehe.

Like, it would explain that it take more time because there is only 1 dev, but if it is a team of 10 devs I would be concerned about the future of the game ^^

• Like 1

Even a crew of 10, I would still understand.  They keep us informed.  There are some games (Sean, @ No Man Sky, I'm talking about you) who go on radio silence.  Still worth the wait, but I'd rather be kept updated.  

On 9/29/2020 at 9:38 AM, FJRD said:

Hi folks!

First of all a huge thank you to all of you who played the game and posted your ideas and feedback. And also a big thank you for all the bug reports you've sent, it really helps!

We thought it would be a good idea to give you all some information what goes on behind the scenes.

Here's what we're currently working on:

image.png.2741f3357d9d11794f86c77148e45baa.png

Pet

Were working hard on making a pet that can keep you company in the wilderness. It's a difficult task and takes time but hopefully we will get it right soon!

You be able to give it commands such as "Follow me", "Wait here", "Go home" and "Look for loot". You will also have to feed it so it doesn't starve. More ideas are welcome here.

image.png.09ddb72a85852ab62046e83dd03fb460.png

Brewery

We're working on a new cabin extension where you can brew your own beverages. You'll use herbs as ingredients and each beverage will have one of the following effects:

Body temperature. This one will keep you warm for a couple minutes no matter how cold it is outside.

Energy. This one will max your stamina and increase your sprinting speed for a couple of minutes. Very handy if you want to traverse long distances quick or chop down tons of trees.

Stay awake. Drinking one of these will increase your awake time, if you feel like some days are too short. 

Environment variety

This is a big thing to tackle and we will have to re-think our current workflow to be able to add more variety to the environment.

We hoped it would just work to expand our current world but unfortunately it makes the performance worse.

The solution? We're exploring this as I'm writing this. It might take a while but we're experimenting with different approaches to this issue so we can get as cool environment as possible in the future.

It will probably be a while before we've reach a good enough solution here so the environment will not be updated i the next update release.

Thank you for being part of this journey and we'll post info soon regarding the upcoming update.

/FJRD

What do you think about adding some kind of hunting feature. I love this game i just think this game needs a little more content. Looking forward to the new updates

Hello AlitzyHunting is a feature that brings many discussion among our player base and the team! 
We havent made a decision about it yet! The only thing that we know is that if we would have the feature, you wouldn't need to use it to progress.